Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff Book Review

Tuesday, January 5, 2016



I was freaking excited when I received this book as a gift during our class christmas party. I had sore throat that time and i had a hard time speaking because my voice is super hoarse but when i opened the gift, I squealed an ugly squeal because the orange cover peeked and said "Hi!!!". I wasn't really expecting it because it's too expensive so it's a real shock.

So anyway, I finished this super thick book in 3 days I think? I read it with my classmate and I was forced to finish it one night because he finished it super fast, and I was like, "What the??". So I finished 400 pages or less in just one night.

I was astounded even when I started this book because it is really creative, and even though I only watched one star wars movie in my entire life, the book reminded me of that in the beginning. And then came Star Trek because of the space ships I think? and when I was in the middle, all I can think about is Legend by Marie Lu set in space.

This is my first sci-fi and I can say it's a good experience. I try all kinds of genre and reading my first sci-fi ever did not disappoint me. I prolly am going to watch all Star Wars movie in one go when I am already done with my holiday stuff with le fambam soon.


Title: Illuminae
Series: The Illuminae Files #1
Author: Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Published by: Knopf Books for Young Readers on 20th October 2015
Genre: Sci-fi
Setting: Outer space
Format: HArdbound, 599 pages
Copy Source: Gifted
Purchase: NBS[PH] | Amazon | B & N
Rating: 4.5 Roses

This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.
  • I cannot tell you enough how f*ckng beautiful this book is. Every bookshelf should own an Illuminae because it's really beautiful inside and out! Plus, all curse words are censored in black pentel pen like thing-y. I mean, what other book does that?! Yuhh, the awesomeness can't be contained, what with the schematics of the space ships, blowing of planets and all those cool intergalactic, interstellar whatever stuff that is going on inside this 599-page book! YOU.SHOULD.DEFINITELY.READ.ILLUMINAE!
  • This book is a crazy experience for me. Not the usual type of book I read all the time because the story is told in transcripted files from intercoms, cctvs, chatbox, and others. It was really cool even though I had a hard time following in the first half (I was bored, in other words), but after 200 pages, I think, I.WAS.HOOKED!
  • The second half was a real page turner. You can't even fathom the crazy stuff that happens along the way. So many deaths and shocking revelations that you never want to close the book until the end. And when I say SHOCKING REVELATION, you'll really get shocked big time. I don't want to spoil anything but there is a part in the book where I literally stood up and said HO-LY SHEEZ! with wide eyes and I had a hard time moving on after that. Guhhh.
  • I think it's been such a long time since I last read a book with relationships that aren't built on sexual tension. Ezra and Kady's relationship is a series of funny IM's and conversations that makes you want to smile or giggle or laugh. Their banter turned to not too sweet conversations in the span of the book. I tell you, this is the only book where you'll get OD'd with chat flirting.
  • The ending was way better than I thought it would be. It wrapped up in an awesome way that gave way to the second book which is really intriguing, by the way, because you know that there's a bigger war in play and Illuminae is just the freaking start. Illuminae blew my mind and I have no idea what more secrets and bam bam bam! the next book would offer! I.AM.EXCITED!!
  • All in all, PEW! PEW! PEW! Read or I'll shatter your space ship into tiny gazillion pieces!
    Glimpse inside the dust jacket and inside the book itself. Amazeballs *O*

6 comments

  1. Gaaahh!! *me in one breath* I've been hearing good things about this book and the cover is pretty and so is the title but it's a sci-fi and I'm not good with sci-fi but you seem to have enjoyed it a lot!

    So the verdict: I might as well buy a copy of this book!

    Loved your gushing in your review! Haha I can totally here your it from the laptop's screen xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how badly I gush about these books all the time! Hahahaha i am also not into Space scifi so I was really surprised that I freaking loved this book so much! Please do buy the books. It's so beautiful you just want to stare at it all day. Do read it and you'll thank me later hahaha kidding. It's true though, all the books in the series are great especially the second one! Hhhhaha update me when you're done reading I wanna hear you gush about it also ahahha

      Delete